Monday, April 20, 2009

Vulture's Prey

Now I haven't been going to Relief Society for to long and I am sorta rusty, yesterday we had a very short announcement period followed by a Sister who brought a beautiful song to our attention and directed a very nice discussion on the lyric and then we sang it - I had never heard of it before (#120) but it had a really nice message.

Then we had a really good lesson.

Now I must preface this with the fact I was sitting my my girlfriend Kathi Porter - who was visiting our ward from Utah so her wonderful son Nic could give a homecoming talk in the ward he left from (they moved to Utah a while ago) - Now Kathi and I worked in YW for a long time and we "get" each other. So here we are eating skittles I got in Sunday School and we start to sing the closing song, I am sure someone was trying to stretch us to learn new hymns and I do get tired of the same ole' songs (I hope whoever chose the song will not be offended) and we sang song #121 "I'm a Pilgrim, I'm a Stranger." After the first couple of lines Kathi and I were starting to crack up...

I'm a pilgrim, I'm a stranger
Cast upon the rocky shore
Not bad
Of a land where deathly danger
Surges with a sullen roar
Here is where we started to giggle - really? deathly danger? Sullen roar? Isn't this church?
2nd verse
Misty vapors rise before me.
Scarcely can I see the way.
I actually calmed down by this point because I thought it was well expressed but...
Clouds of darkest hue hang o'er me,
and I'm apt to go astray
With the many, with the many
That are now the Vulture's prey.
Nobody got through the Vulture part, the whole room was laughing- Kathi and I started up by the clouds of darkest hue - I mean it sounds so Wuthering Heights.
The rest of the song got lost - I am not sure what Hans Henry Petersen was like (he was the author of said piece) but I do wonder!
On to other news - we put an offer on a house in Tempe (AZ). Hopefully it will be a good idea, we thought that maybe since the house prices are down and there are soooo many repo ones that we could buy something closer to ASU for Brenn to live in and share with some PAYING girls. That way it boosts her credit and maybe will be a good investment for us. This house is not in great shape but mostly it needs labor and coincidentally my boys need a summer job! Hope to hear by the end of the month but I am not holding my breath, mortgage companies are really slow!
Have a good Day!!

5 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

We're thinking of doing something similar, buying a "rental property" and then renting it to our kids because it would be a good investment (but we don't want to have to deal with real renters).

The fact that you mentioned thinking of it too makes me think maybe this idea is not as off-base as I was afraid it might be. I mean, why not, right?

Snarky Belle said...

Vulture's prey is just not what I want to think about when I'm at church...although, with some Skittles, does it really even matter? I'll listen to pretty much anything if I can have candy to get me through it. :)

Good Luck with the house...sounds like a great idea!

jen said...

I don't even have a clue what song that is. When I hop out of bed, maybe I'll head to the piano for a little enlightenment.

Kat said...

Karen - crack me up. I will forever link skittles & vulture prey together. *giggle* Best part? I was sitting by you, good friend. Good luck with the house. btw, you look fabulous!

Huston Family said...

Isn't Relief Society interesting! I though primary was strange.