Saturday, January 9, 2010

AAHHhhhmmm......

My really wonderful Daddy got me a new laptop. It is tiny. I should be able to take it anywhere. That means I can sit on my couch and blog or read blogs. Maybe take a break from Mario bros. and surf the web or pay my bills.

I have to explain about my Dad.

He is the greatest!

When I was a kid, he was loud and strict. Well kinda. If you needed $5 for gas you ALWAYS asked Dad not Mom. He would always give you ten (that was when $10 would fill a gas tank) because my Mom would only give you what you need and not enough for fries at McDonald's on the way home. He provided cars for us to drive (4 for my sister to crash) and made us work on the cars.
He set a very strict curfew and for every minute we were late we were grounded for a day. Once I was 1 1/2 hours late (at least that is what the clock said) but there was my Dad waiting for me to get home. They never waited up. You just had to go in and tell them you were home and they would look at the clock and ask a few questions and go to sleep. I will admit to padding the clock with a few extra minutes.
Anyway back to the late story, I sputtered and tried to explain as my father asked how many days I would be grounded and when Prom was (1 week to Prom and I was attending a 2ND one in 2 weeks) when my Mother started laughing. This was serious, they never laughed when it was serious. Really it was daylight savings time and I was only 15 minutes late. My Dad enjoyed the prank so much I got to work off the extra days and go to Prom.

We always knew he loved my Mother more than us.

As I have grown older and he has mellowed - My brother Dean is responsible for that as much as his aging and wisdom. He can still fix anything (including computers) and will always give up his time to help someone else.

I notice that he has successfully taught his children to accept people for who they are and not who they should be. To be friendly and to be basically good people. He changed his life when he met and married my mother and then they joined the Mormon church together.

I sure love my Dad. I can not imagine having another Dad. I never, ever doubted that my Dad loved and adored me. Even when I did those things that exasperated him to no end.
This really didn't start as a post about my Dad, it was supposed to be about my new laptop, but since my Dad is the one who gave it to me and he is so great how could I resist.

2 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

I'm glad this post ended up to be about your dad. He sounds like a good 'un!

As for the small laptop, my mom got the tiniest little one from my sister that I've ever seen. It's perfect for her, because at her age, almost anything on her lap hurts her...but this new one is just fine. So now she can sit in her chair with her laptop and play on the internet to her heart's content.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as she does!

=)

Brad said...

I know why this turned out the way it did. . . .
He is as great as you say. My love and prayers for him.