http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1606879423271
Here is the link to see Dallin opening his call!! I am so very proud of this boy!! He leaves on April 22nd and goes directly to the MTC in Preston, England. Needless to say I have been really busy! I am sure there were at least 150 people in our home for this event. I made 60 cinnamon rolls and they were gone in an instant. I wish I would have taken pictures of the crowd but by 9pm I was so wound up! I managed to keep busy from noon until about 7 when we attended an open house with our ward and they were all excited too, so that made me ready to hear but Dallin didn't get off until 8:30pm so. By 9pm my house was full and no Dallin. He did finally come home and honestly, I will count that night as one of the best ever!
On to traditions...
My bestie is having a linky party and up to now I have been a no show. At our house we are all about traditions. My husband is a big Christmas person and so we developed important rituals and up until this Christmas we have always done these things. What is different about this year? I am not sure. We seem too busy. Wrestling every weekend in December and putting on one wrestling tournament the Saturday before Christmas. Planning my in-laws 50th anniversary party and reunion, plus the usual Christmas stuff. But at least I will record our traditions.
First, we always try to put up the tree on my birthday the 7th, we are more flexible as our kids have gotten older because of busy schedules. We always decorate the tree together. A few years ago Ken complained about our ornaments, they are the kids creations from school, primary and various activities. So I bought him his own tree with the white lights and red balls, he and Brenn decorate this tree and the boys and I decorate the other tree, we have blue and red lights added to the white and put lots of old ornaments. Then we put on the Grinch Who Stole Christmas, the cartoon one, and string popcorn for our tree, when the Grinch is done we watch The Year Without a Santa Claus. This is something we all look forward too.
Second, we spend one day, usually the 23rd or so baking and taking treats to all of those we love. We are grateful to have such good people in our lives. The best way we know how is to make them fat! I will give out one of my most complimented recipes:
Bon, Bons
1 package of Oreos, either plain or mint but not double stuffed
1 8oz pkg of cream cheese
In a food processor grind up the Oreos, white stuff and all in to a fine powder.
Add to a bowl the powder and the cream cheese.
Mix together well - you have to use your hands - that is just the way it is.
Take about a teaspoon of the mixture and roll into a ball, stick a toothpick 3/4 of the way down and put on a tray. After all of the mixture is gone place tray in freezer for about an hour.
Melt Almond bark either in the microwave or on the stove according to the package.
Use toothpick to dip the bon bon and set on wax paper. Let the chocolate set up.
Take out toothpick and dip the top, sometimes I dip the top in white chocolate to note the mint ones.
Store in an airtight container or ziplock in the fridge. I recommend hiding them.
Last is Christmas morning. We line up according to age and wait for Ken to turn on the lights. Then we open our stockings and gather to open presents. This is serious business for Ken. We start either oldest to youngest or youngest to oldest depending on Christmas Eve. Then you open one present on your turn while everyone else watches. It usually takes us a couple of hours. Mostly, we get to spend the morning together.
2 comments:
And it's our last Christmas with our boys. That's going to be sad.
Heidi's home. Come over and see the bump!
What an exciting mission call! Congrats to all of you.
=)
PS. And have a merry Christmas!
Post a Comment