Monday, March 24, 2008

The Prado








We are at the Prado - My good friend Jenny, who loves art, told me how amazing it would be, but I truly had no idea. It was almost over load, some of the paintings were so large I could not figure out how they could keep the perspective and still paint these masterpieces. Most were really old - some painted in the 1300 and 1400's. I think I am old or that some of the things my grandparents have kept were old, but these just do not compare. My favorite were painted my Murillo. These were less graphic and more loving. Most of the paintings were religious in nature, some mythology, and some portraits. This was the propaganda of the day, I wonder what they would think of People magazine and the like.






It took us about 3 hours and I am not sure we saw it all. When we left it was dark and the statue was lit up so pretty. We walked back to the metro and then found some dinner. Most restaurants do not open for dinner until 8:30pm or 9pm, we were usually ready to eat by 7pm so this did present a few problems but since I did not lose 1 lb. we must have done alright.

3 comments:

Araken said...

Hi, I just found this blog. Wow, that's really cool. I've heard of that museum in Spanish class. Did you see anything by Francisco Goya even though he was in the 1700's?

Tamra said...

Your trip sounds amazing! I think I said that last time, but I love the pictures. What memories you will have for your family.

Shabwan said...

Karen...is there nothing better than the old saying... "No one needs a vacation like someone just home from vacation"! I love reading about your trip. Your life will never be the same...you will always want MORE traveling!