Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Last Cinnamon Roll Tuesday!

Today was the last Cinnamon Roll Tuesday.  Although the kids offered to still come all summer long!


It has been a fun tradition.  These kids, who are on the edge of adulthood, making decision that will impact the rest of their lives yet are so kind and grateful for a few cinnamon rolls.  Today it was signing of yearbooks and talking of where they will go to college.  Missions were also a major topic. 

When I was in my youth, the adults were afraid for the future.  My generation was going to drop the ball (maybe we have) but I have no fear for the future.  These children (for at least 2 more days) are looking ahead.  They are kind, polite, smart, caring, strong, true and willing to help each other.  I did not know kids like this existed when I was their age.  I am proud to help mother them, after all, that is what Cinnamon Roll Tuesday has been about for me.  Mothering while I can.

I see my future coming really fast.  My last child will turn 15 this next Sunday.  He starts High School in the fall.  My oldest is almost 20 and Dallin only has about 6 more months until a mission for our church.  My mothering days are somewhat numbered so I have chosen to spread that duty to whomever comes in our door or within my vicinity.

I got to spend the day with my friend Jen yesterday.  We laughed, gabbed and pretty much had a nice visit.  I got to cuddle her sweet, beautiful Eve, giggle over Hyrums big sigh when he made the potty on time and shock all of the teenagers who came for lunch.  They could not believe that Moms could just hang out!!  She has good mothering years left.  I will always be a 2nd mother to her children (whether Hyrum likes me or not!) I am blessed to call that family mine too. But it called to my attention that my life will change soon, faster than I am sure I can be ready. 

But mostly, when I think about it I think - CRAP!!  I am getting old!!  And then my body confirms it!

2 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

I love your gift of cinnamon roll Tuesdays to the teenage crowd, and I also love when good women are "second mothers" to their friends' children. That's exactly how it should be.

Yep, you are in for some changes soon, but if anyone can handle it, you can. You seem to go through life with a lot of good sense.

=)

jen said...

All sweet and reflective, and then the real Karen comes out at the end.
Had a ball with you yesterday.
And it's done, by the way.