We loving called Fuengirola - Fuen - because some of us are not able to do verbal gymnastics. Anyway this castle was cool - I think the oldest we visited. You will notice the way the side walk goose necks up the hill - it was a very steep hill - and I thought the steepest we would encounter, silly me!!
As we approached I notices the walls had holes where the birds had nested, and the plants had grown! I cannot get plants to grow in the ground in my yard and here are orange trees sprouting out of a rock wall, go figure.
We have put in a bird feeder for my Grandma, they make a mess - I did wonder if that was part of the reason the wall seemed so pitted - bird doo doo everywhere!!
I cannot find the name of this castle - I will have to investigate further but it was built around 1000 a.d..
You have to pay to get into just about everything and this was no exception.You walk into the doorway on the right and down a walkway -

And out you come this doorway with a large courtyard - below is straight ahead - we figured this was the kitchen area.
The picture below is to the left of the door - it seemed to be rooms, maybe this is where the nobles lived? There are several steps to the upper walkway and some bigger platforms for the cannons and tower rooms.
This was also along the back wall.
These seemed to be the soldiers quarters and the well. I would imagine a water source was really important.

This was up on the tallest bluff just off the beach - Great view of all surrounding area including the sea. I am amazed at the quality of the engineering (it is still standing after 1000 years) and the thought put into the defense (you will see more on that in the next post). I will continue this castle in the next post as I am trying to keep them to a shorter length. We took soooo many pictures and I am making this my travel journal so you will have to bear with me :0!
3 comments:
It's so hard to imagine people walking around going about thier business in those amazing castles. So cool.
The Fuen Castle is most handsome!
I can just see Ken trudging down to the street each day to get the morning newspaper!
Love your blog!
Grant G.
One day I plan to built a castle just like that. Can you see it, I will knock down my house in West Jordan,UT and rebuild. I just can't see it as very functional, can you imagine picking up after your kids with that much space and the yard work, well that is just plain insane.
Post a Comment