Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The King's Palace in Madrid



Here's the Kings Palace - no pictures inside but I did take one before the official guy told be I couldn't take anymore. The courtyard was very large, with a cathedral directly opposite. In the palace we met a couple from San Diego - Jim and her name escapes me now but I will remember, probably in the middle of the night!!! Anyway this couple were in Spain for a wedding and had only been married for about 6 mos., we also met up with them in Seville - we enjoyed meeting and talking with them.

These two statues were outside the main entrance of the Palace. Statues also lined the top of the roof. The detail of these statues leads you to wonder how long it took to carve one and did more than one person work on each one.






This one looks like he is waiting for a cab!!








Here is the picture of the entrance to the Palace - my bad!! - White marble everywhere and lots of paintings. I wonder if everyone had a sore neck, most of the artwork was on the ceilings!! The only other really funny thing is here are all of these big chandeliers and sconces, covered in gold and silver, with lots of crystals dripping from them and the light bulbs are CFL's - the fluorescent bulbs that use less electricity- I took a picture but I can't find it (with 1439 can you wonder?)














This the the front of the Cathedral.







More of the Cathedral.


This is the view from the courtyard on the left side - you could see so much!! No wonder everything is uphill - I am sure it was easier to defend and to spot the intruders coming.






This fellow was just sitting there - isn't he pretty!!






I took this picture of the ceiling can you imagine setting in all of those bricks? We saw this over and over in the architecture in both Madrid and Seville. The arch must have something to do with it. The second picture is a little wider shot.









Sorry so long between posts - Life is a little crazy. We had the wrestling banquet for Dallin last night and it took several of us moms to plan and carry out the work. These boys worked and continue to work so hard it was the least we could do!! I am so proud of how much Dallin has learned and continues to try to get better by joining the wrestling club and lifting.

2 comments:

Araken said...

Awesome! Most impressive, but it's too bad it won't last forever.

Tamra said...

Way to go Dallin!!!! Karen, your pictures are amazing. I've loved reading about you trip. What an amazing time! I hope one day to go to Spain and now I know who to call to be my tour guide.