Do you make your bed everyday?
When I was a kid my mean, mean mother required us to make our beds every single day. I know the horror, right? I remember swearing a binding oath that I would never make my kids do this cruel and inhumane practice.
When I moved out I felt like I finally had freedom. I did not make my bed once in college.
YES,
I did wash the sheets regularly and then the bed was freshly made but every morning?
NOPE.
So I meet this pretty great guy and get married and all and well, I had been to his apartment once or twice and he alway had his bed nicely made. So I gave in and for the first few months I dutifully made the bed or conned him in to doing it when he got up last. Then slowly I poisoned him into not caring.
Then I had kids. When we were staying with the Andersons in California while Brenn was being treated for Cancer (another story) I did make my bed for six whole weeks. I was a guest, and I wanted to be a good guest. While staying with Sandy, (Anderson, her daughter is married to Ken's older Brother Mike, and her Brother is married to Ed's (FIL) Sister Elaine) she gave me some wisdom. She told me that if you get all of the beds made every moring then if nothing else gets done at least you feel like you accomplished something.
So I changed my tune for a little while. I taught my kids to make a bed and every morning and tried to be strict. Of course MY bed was the one slacking. Then one of my sweet children pointed that out, dang smart kids. And I relented.
The only bed in our house that is made everyday is Grandmas. She is strict about that.
I pull up the covers in a half hearted attempt on my bed and really I feel no guilt. I suppose I should apologize to the future spouses of my children, sorry I did not teach them. But I did take an oath, ya' know and I was an example of how to stick to it.
So future generations, you have my (Grandma's) permission to not make you bed everyday!
4 comments:
I don't make my bed, but I usually and very carelessly pull up the sheet and comforter. But none of the decorative pillows go on at all, except when the sheet are changed.
I pull up the covers but only because my kids jump on my bed and I don't want their stinky feet all over my sheets! I'd forgotten about Brenn having cancer. Baby Jack may be facing Leukemia, how'd you go about finding the right doctor?
Just wanted to add that I recently remembered I owe you a custom poem from a long-ago blog giveaway. So don't forget to take me up on it, okay?
=)
PS. I'd hate to welsh on the deal...!
It is so funny that you posted this! I was totally thinking about doing a post about this same thing this morning!!! I am not kidding. Great minds think alike :)
I was going to post it because i too do not make my bed but am happy when I do?? Why don't I just take the time to do it?
Post a Comment