Saturday, April 3, 2010

General Conference

I love General Conference. I really should say I have grown to love General Conference.

As a kid my Mother always made us watch at least Sunday. I know it was a strain for her because we were so awful about it.

When I went off to College it was a big deal to drive to Conference and watch or sit outside the Tabernacle and listen. I think that is the first time I really listened and was touched.

When my kids were really little we mostly snoozed on the couch while trying to watch. As they grew, they loved General Conference. And in doing so helped me to appreciate it more. To listen carefully and study the Conference Ensign as scripture.

I remember when Brenn was about 8 or so, she came in our room and woke us up to watch. Because of the DST it was on earlier than we thought. She wanted us to share as a family. As the years have gone by each of my children have made it a point to be there both days, the whole conference time without the strain my poor Mother had to go through.

A few years ago Ken and I were trying to fix a mower and one thing led to another and by the time we got home Conference was about 1/2 over. I will never forget the testimony of my children all gathered around the television watching and listening. No one was there to make them, remind them or even to encourage them, they knew what was right and they did it.

Now only one session has been on today, but I felt so uplifted. Logan is wrestling today (his thumb is finally better) and I am so grateful for TIVO. I was especially moved by President Monson talking about his dear wife. Couldn't you see the love? That kind of love, lasting those many years has been a goal of Ken and I. We could see it in his grandparents. Elder Eyring was also a stand out to me. He is so powerful.

Just a my small testimony of the importance of watching Conference. I am grateful when it falls on Easter. Somehow it makes me reflect better on my Savior and his willingness to be obedient to His Father. What a testament of love.

1 comment:

Susan Anderson said...

I was touched by Pres. Monson's words about his wife, too. Today is Dave's birthday, and I had just written a post for him, so it really got to me.

Great talks so far!

=)